Monday, January 5, 2009

The Way You Looked

My deepest
Darkest
Secret
crawled up from the back of my throat
And quietly waited by the gate of teeth
For its queue
“You know you can tell me anything”
You said
and I believed you.

So I let the animal loose and
It came running up to you wagging its tail
Resting its head on your lap
Looking up with penitent eyes
Aching for your hand
To swirl around its floppy ears
And stroke its long unkempt fur.

You turned away
and mentioned
going shopping later
or to visit your father’s grave.

But I knew it was to bury me
Deep within some memory
Of what you wanted me to be
Like the photograph of us that always looks the same
The one you keep on the bureau drawer

2 comments:

IdaDown said...

Beautiful

LoveLady said...

Astounding! To put into words exactly the way it is...and in such a hauntingly beautiful way! Just loved this! Thanks!